Samoa P-CBA Country Page
1. Purpose Statement
“To ensure that key line agencies are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to apply CBA fundamentals and implement it at a project’s inception, review period and evaluation at its completion so as to ensure a more informed report is submitted to key decision makers and in turn support improved management for development results”.
2. P-CBA Focal Points:
Ms. Tuiolo Schuster – Principal Capacity Building Officer, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment,
Ms Abigail Lee Hang - Principal Project Planning and Programming Officer, Ministry of Finance.
3. Ministries and institutions involved:
Ministry of Agriculture
Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment
Ministry of Finance
Ministry for Women Community and Social Development
4.CBA Case Studies and Timeline:
- PPCR Project 2 – Enhancing the Livelihoods of Communities
Assess this project which aims to enhance the livelihoods of communities identified to be within “at risk” areas of flooding and other effects of CC. The objectives of the CBA would be to identify the best cost option for addressing these risks as each community is susceptible to different disasters.
- Timeline: after the in-country training Dec-Jan 2015.
5. In-Country Training and Mentoring Timeline:
The in-Country trainings should focus on the Module 1 “Overview of a CBA” for senior officials, Module 2 “the ABC of CBA”, Module 3 “The CBA Workplan”, Module 5”Environmental Valuation” and Module 6 “Train the trainers”. Timeline: after the SIDS conference Oct-Nov 2014
6. Sustainability Measures Proposed:
- Internal: The CBA process can be transferred across line agencies through their Sector Coordination Units using the Sector Coordinators’ Meetings (bi-monthly); the existing manual will be revised and once the MOF is confident that the knowledge exists within the lead agencies of each sector, this will once again become a mandatory criteria for large public sector investment projects submitted to the CDC;
- External: Recurring short term CBA courses to address high employee turnover. Technical Backstopping should be available also after the P-CBA will end, (possibly the RTSM)
7. Proposed Sources of funding:
Source of funding need to be identified with regional development partners. One option might be harnessing the PPCR Samoa track funds as it is indicated as a case study.
8. Additional Resources
- Samoa PACC cost benefit analysis final report
- Samoa Planning Meeting Presentation on country needs and existing capacities
- Samoa Planning Meeting Presentation on Country Workplan