Supporting Peru to advance their NAP process
- NAP-GSP and UNDP have provided technical assistance to Peru to advance their NAP process, by working closely with the Ministry of Environment to advise them on the development of the NAP roadmap.
- NAP-GSP has also provided an overview of the UNFCCC guidelines for NAP, and shared experiences of other countries supported by NAP-GSP to a multi-stakeholder working group during a support mission in April 2016.
- As part of the NAP support mission to Peru, the NAP-GSP team met with the core team from the Ministry of Environment to review adaptation advances and develop a NAP roadmap. In addition, support was provided during a one day meeting of the multi-stakeholder NAP group.
- The Ministry of Environment is leading the process to advance the NAP in Peru, together with the Ministry of Economy and Finance, Ministry of Production (Agriculture and Fisheries), Ministry of Health, the National Statistics Institute, the Ministry of Women and Vulnerable Populations, Ministry of Development and Social Inclusion, the Geophysics Institute, and various other institutions including private sector.
- The focus of the NAP process is multisectoral. An initial stocktaking was done in the preparation for the 3rd National Communication on Climate Change, but Peru is seeking support and guidance on how to further advance the NAP purposes.
- The NAP for Peru will build upon the National Strategy on Climate Change which was revised in 2015. This states the objective that economic agents and populations increase their awareness and adaptive capacity to the adverse impacts and the opportunities of climate change.
- The NAP (and the National Strategy) also build on the following key strategies and documents:
- The Plan for Disaster Risk Management and CCA in the Agricultural Sector 2012 – 2021
- Regional strategies for Climate Change – based on the Law for Regional Governments. These strategies identify vulnerable sectors and areas in each of Peru's regions (provinces) and contain actions to reduce impacts of climate change.
- National Plan for Disaster Risk Management
- 3rd National Communication on Climate Change
- The INDC - the NAP will be the main instrument to implement INDC.
The INDC adaptation component was developed after a review of the vulnerabilities and adaptation priorities of the country, and based on the study of the national goals established by various national planning documents (Bicentennial Plan, National Plan for Disaster Risk Management - PLANAGERD, Environmental Action Plan - PLANAA, Environment Agenda 2014) and sectoral planning documents (PLANGRACC-A11, Budget Programs, Integral Plan of Mitigation and Adaptation to the effects of Climate Change on Public Health, among others). The adaptation component is formulated for different sectors and prioritized systems.
Programme Meetings and Workshops
29 April 2016, Lima, Peru: NAP-GSP and UNDP have provided technical assistance to Peru to advance their NAP process, by working closely with the Ministry of Environment to advise them on the development of the NAP roadmap. NAP-GSP has also provided an overview of the UNFCCC guidelines for NAP, and shared experiences of other countries supported by NAP-GSP to a multi-stakeholder working group during a support mission in April 2016.