Event: Mainstreaming gender equality in budgeting and planning processes for enhanced implementation of the agriculture sector priorities in climate plans
Thursday 6 October 2022 | 15:00-16:30 CEST
Virtual Webinar hosted by the Paris Committee on Capacity Building (PCCB) Network, organized by UNDP and FAO with the support of IKI
Building on over seven years of joint collaboration (through the IKI-funded NAP-Ag and SCALA programmes), UNDP and FAO organized a webinar to create a space for an exchange of experiences on gender-responsive national climate planning processes.
Achieving climate-related goals in land use and agriculture requires nothing less than the transformation of food and agricultural systems. This includes transforming systems and structures in ways that promote gender equality and social inclusion (such as for smallholders and marginalized groups) not only to address differences in vulnerability but also to build upon the knowledge, needs, and insights different groups can contribute to climate solutions.
Countries are integrating gender equality and social inclusion into their National Adaptation Plans (NAPs) and Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), as shown by recent analyses. Further action is needed to ensure that gender-responsive goals are attained during implementation.
A full recap article is available here.
The objectives of this webinar was to:
- Showcase examples of integrating gender into climate planning and implementation – at national and local levels – for more effective and impactful climate action in the agriculture sector
- Engage a variety of stakeholders in a knowledge-sharing discussion on gender-responsive budgeting, with an emphasis on experiences from Africa
Hon. Winifred Masiko, Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development, Uganda and National Gender and Climate Change focal point to the UNFCCC
- Jane Njeri Reuben, Climate Change Unit, State Department for Crops Development & Agricultural Research, Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries & Cooperatives, Kenya
- Peter Wright, Senior Technical Advisor Climate Resilient Agric., CARE USA
- Shanaz Broermann, Senior PFM Specialist, CABRI Secretariat
- Rebecca Rewald, Senior Gender Policy Advisor, Unpaid and Underpaid Care Work, Oxfam America