SCALA Senegal


Country priorities 

Senegal is a Sahelian country located in West Africa with a steadily growing economy over recent years. However, poverty in Senegal is still prevalent in rural areas, where roughly 60 percent of the population resides. The other 40 percent of the population resides in urban areas, where the majority live in rapidly growing urban suburbs. Low agricultural production, limited capacity of the economy to create sustainable jobs, and inadequate resource allocation for social services contribute to poverty. Senegal is vulnerable to a number of climate-related impacts, such as drought, locust invasion, flooding, sea-level rise, coastal erosion and related health epidemics as well as bush fires. The agriculture sector in Senegal represents 36 percent of its GHG emissions and 16.6 percent of GDP. 

Project Details

Country priorities 

The country developed a National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA) in 2006 and submitted an INDC in 2015, which outlined Senegal’s plans for mitigation and adaptation.  There is strong institutional coordination on climate change in Senegal. The NDC was recently revised and submitted ahead of COP26 in 2021, while sectoral NAPs are currently under development. The Plan for an Emerging Senegal (Plan Sénégal Emergent) reflects the strong political will for development based on more sustainable production patterns and food systems. Since 2019, various actors involved in agroecology in Senegal have come together under the DyTAES (Dynamique pour une Transition AgroEcologique au Sénégal) framework to contribute to the reflections of the Senegalese government with a view to building an agroecological transition policy. FAO has also been supporting Senegal through the “Strengthening National Adaptation Planning Capacities for Food Security and Nutrition” project focusing on an interdisciplinary and multi-stakeholder approach to increase resilience of the agriculture sector. 


Level of Intervention: 
Implementing Agencies & Partnering Organizations: 
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU)
Project Status: 
Under Implementation