The overall goal of the project is to establish the institutional arrangements and capacities to develop and execute the National Adaptation Plan (NAP) to further an overarching approach to adaptation planning and implementation in Tajikistan. The NAP process assists the country’s government in mainstreaming climate change adaptation in policy and planning processes at the national and sectoral levels, enhancing capacities to identify key vulnerabilities and develop effective climate change adaptation projects. Successful design and implementation of a National Climate Change Adaptation Strategy will result in enhanced adaptive capacity and will improve the country’s ability to mobilize private and public sector finance from domestic and international sources to support a pipeline of adaptation and resilience building activities.
The "Enabling an effective National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process for Tajikistan" project supports the Government of Tajikistan to establish the institutional arrangements and capacities to develop and execute National Adaptation Plans to further an overarching approach to adaptation planning and implementation in the country.
Tajikistan has already started to feel the effects of climate change. Temperatures in Tajikistan have consistently increased since the 1930's at an average rate of 0.1˚C/decade. Climate-induced extreme weather events (such as floods, droughts, heatwaves, landslides and avalanches) are expected to increase in both frequency and intensity as a result of warming. Almost one-third of the population lives below the poverty line, which adds significantly to the climate risk vulnerability of a country that is already identified as the most vulnerable among all European and Central Asian countries. Climate change could adversely affect Tajikistan through impacts on social, cultural, economic, and natural resources. The relatively low level of socio-economic development, inadequate infrastructure, and high dependency on climate-sensitive sectors make the country extremely vulnerable to climate-induced extreme events.
The Government of the Republic of Tajikistan has made commitments to confront the challenges of climate change and to implementing the commitments made in its Nationally Determined Contribution. At the national level, to achieve its adaptation goals the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan has developed a National Climate Change Adaptation Strategy (NCCAS), which is a long-term statement of priorities with respect to climate change adaptation. The current project addresses identified gaps and barriers to implementation and is consistent with the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan’s vision for the NAP process.
The following results are expected to be delivered through the three outcomes of the project:
- Committee on Environmental Protection is strengthened as the lead agency and coordinating body for climate change adaptation.
- Statistics Agency develops and implements national indicators and reporting methodology for climate change adaptation planning and implementation.
- Climate Change Center knowledge management capabilities are strengthened.
- Mainstreaming of climate change adaptation in priority sector planning and regulatory frameworks is advanced.
- Priority sector vulnerabilities and adaptation options are identified.
- Long-term climate change adaptation capacity development program is established and implemented.
- Establish and institutionalize a financing mechanism for the NAP/NCCAS/NDC implementation.
- Sub-national capacities for climate change adaptation mainstreaming, planning, and project implementation are enhanced.
- Private sector is engaged in climate change adaptation activities at national and sectoral levels.
- The Steering committee has been established with representation of key national institutions and stakeholders.
- The intersectoral working group on integration of climate change adaptation measures into the national planning has been established.
Key results and outputs
Outcome 1: Governance, coordination and institutional arrangements for climate change adaptation planning and implementation strengthened
Outcome 2: Priority sector adaptation plans developed, capacities strengthened, and long-term capacity development program established
Outcome 3: Implementation capacities for climate change adaptation is strengthened.